Every time my husband wants a late night snack, he always makes these nachos. They’re super cheesy and the easiest to make. All it takes is cheese, milk and chips. Oh, and corned beef hash.
The only thing you need to do with this is spread the corned beef hash in the pan and add salt and pepper to taste. Then just leave this to cook.
You’ll want to grab a small sauce pan – this is for the cheese sauce. The best cheese sauces always start with a base, or a roux. For this, you’ll need butter and flour. Once combined, you’ll add the milk.
You’ll want to add the shredded cheeses into the roux and stir them continuously until they melt down. Check on the corned beef hash to make sure the bottom isn’t burning.
The cheese sauce will thicken on its own so don’t worry about adding anything else to it other than seasonings. This recipe is a spicy cheese sauce so we’ll be adding more than just pepper. But if you don’t like it spicy, you can skip this step. Also, this is when you want to either flip or break up your corned beef hash so the other side gets cooked.
If you do want your cheese on the spicier side, then feel free to add whatever you want to it. Here, we added chili powder, cumin, and sliced Habanero peppers. Completely optional.
Finally, grab a plate and spread some chips down. Take your cooked hash and sprinkle it around the chips, and then lather on that sauce. Since this was a spicy dish, we topped it with red pepper flakes. Just can’t get enough spice.
There you have it! Smashin’ Nachos spicy style! Feel free to let me know what you guys think if you give it a try. The corned beef and spices are 100% OPTIONAL – don’t forget that! Everything you need to know for this recipe is down below. Have fun and enjoy the flavor.
Smashin’ Nachos – Spicy Style
Difficulty Level: Easy
- 3 tablespoons of Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 tablespoon of Flour
- 1 cup of Milk
- 1 cup of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup of Cheddar Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup of Milk (to thin)
- A pinch of Salt to taste
- A pinch of Pepper to taste
- 1 can of Corned Beef Hash
- A handful of Tortilla Chips
- 1/2 teaspoon of Chili Powder
- A pinch of Cumin
- 2 teaspoons of Sliced Habanero Peppers
- In a large pan over medium-low heat, open up the can of corned beef hash and spread it around in the pan, making a little pancake. Leave this to cook on one side until you are halfway done with your cheese sauce.
- Add your butter to the sauce pan and melt it down. Then add the flour. Stir these together until you get a paste-like consistency. Once achieved, add your cup of milk and mix it into the roux.
- Once your milk is combined into the roux, add your cheeses and stir continuously until they’re melted. If your cheese sauce gets too thick, use some milk to thin it a bit to your liking. This will be where you flip your corned beef hash so the other side can cook.
- While taking a break from stirring the cheese sauce, add your salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin. Give this a nice stir and don’t forget to taste it to see if you want more or less spice. Just add more cheese if you accidentally made it too spicy.
- Slice up your Habanero pepper and add it into the cheese sauce. Give this one final stir.
- Plate some tortilla chips and place the corned beef hash on top. Then layer the cheese sauce over that and top with red pepper flakes. Enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Austin Borsuk